How to Put on a Duvet Cover – From sushi-rolling to inside-out-flipping to binder-clipping, it seems like there are approximately one zillion ways to put on a duvet cover. But according to House Beautiful contributor Eddie Ross, a veteran home stylist who’s mastered the art of bed-making, there’s one method that’s quicker, easier and a lot less headache-inducing than the rest—no catchy name or “ta da!” claims required. Follow along with the video above—all it takes is a few simple steps, and you’ll be cozying up under your new duvet in no time.
A comforter and a duvet cover. (Yes, that’s it—no fancy gadgets required!) If you want to upgrade your bedding and need recommendations, here are a few of House Beautiful’s favorites.
How to Put on a Duvet Cover
1. Lay your duvet cover out evenly on the bed, right side out, with the zipper or button closures open.
2. Find the top two corners of the comforter or duvet insert (pro tip: keep the tag on the bottom righthand corner so you always know which side it is!). Grab one of those top corners and feed it through the duvet cover, up the edge until you reach the top. If there are ties inside your duvet cover, fasten the tie to the comforter. From the outside, pinch both the cover and the insert together in that corner and pull the whole thing up.
3. On the same side, feed in the bottom corner and fasten the tie if applicable. It’ll be messy, but just shove that side of the comforter in.
4. Repeat step two with the remaining top corner.
5. Repeat step three with the remaining bottom corner, then hold that corner in place with one hand. With your other hand, follow along the edge of the comforter until you get to the other bottom corner. Holding both corners from the outside of the duvet, shake the duvet and comforter up and forward in one motion—it should lay out evenly across your bed as it comes back down.
6. Close the buttons or zipper and style your bed as you please!
Follow House Beautiful on Instagram.
Emma Bazilian Senior Features Editor Emma Bazilian is a writer and editor covering interior design, market trends and culture.
Brittney Morgan Associate Market Editor, House Beautiful Brittney Morgan is House Beautiful’s Associate Market Editor, a noted land mermaid, and a Virgo with a penchant for crafts, red lipstick, and buying way too many throw pillows.